Among today’s leading social media platforms, LinkedIn.com offers intuitive features for connecting, sharing and networking. Linkedin claims over 80 million members connect in over 200 countries. A new member joins LinkedIn approximately every second and about half of their members are outside the U.S.
This electronic rolodex does much more than store your connections. Here are 10 reasons why every professional should join LinkedIn and actively participate:
- Increase your visibility – Each new connections results in many more potential connections.
- Keep tabs on your connections – Perhaps your former co-worker now works where you are interviewing.
- Ask for advice – Post your question and wait for all the expert advice and opinions
- Build your credibility – Offer up your answers to others’ questions or promote your blog with easy plug-in apps.
- Showcase your expertise – With a resume-like profile
- Reach out to new connections – Network at functions, connect with them on LinkedIn
- Improve your e-footprint – Your profile page will be ranked on Google making your more searchable
- Research companies and individuals – Do your research before a sales call or interview
- Seek new clients – By participating in groups, you can reach out to new contacts that fit your demographic
- Stay current – Publicize your accomplishments, coursework and even current reading material
Linkedin’s statement summarizes it best, ‘Your professional network of trusted contacts gives you an advantage in your career, and is one of your most valuable assets. LinkedIn exists to help you make better use of your professional network and help the people you trust in return. Our mission is to connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful. We believe that in a global connected economy, your success as a professional and your competitiveness as a company depends upon faster access to insight and resources you can trust.’